Sunday, June 5, 2022

I Love Jordan - Week 39

This last week I had the amazing opportunity to visit the country of Jordan to conduct some trainings. While there, we had an extra two days to see some of the local historical sites such as the Jordan River, the site where they believe Jesus was actually baptized, where John the Baptist lived, where Elijah was taken into heaven, Mount Nebo where Moses looked out upon the promised land just before his death, the Dead Sea, and Petra. What an amazing experience! 
One of the Soldiers who came with us desired to be baptized in the Jordan River, which another Chaplain was able to perform. Though our beliefs on baptism were different, I still felt the Spirit of that man’s desire to follow Christ and leave his old life behind. It was quite an emotional experience for all of us.
It was inspiring to be among the historical sites I have grown up learning about in the Scriptures and movies. I crossed off one of my “bucket list” items by riding a camel in Petra while listening to the theme song of Indiana Jones!
Though we were not allowed to go into Israel, I could see Jerusalem off in the distance from Mount Nebo. I look forward to the day when Dana and I can tour the rest of the Holy Land. But one thing was for sure, I felt the love of Jesus Christ in a place where He walked, where He led his children to the promised land, where He fulfilled his promises to the House of Israel, and where He will one day come again to rule on earth. 
But I didn’t need to see it for myself to believe and know that Jesus really did live, and die, and lived again for us near this place. Where the voice of God the Father spoke from Heaven and the Spirit  appeared in the form of a dove upon the Son of God. I know that Jesus is the Christ, and that comes from a witness of the Holy Spirit which is more deeply imbedded than what eyes can see, ears can hear, and hands can feel. I look forward to the day when every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that same truth, and I hope I can help others come to that same belief before He comes again.
 
In His Service,
Chaplain John Critchfield

No comments:

Post a Comment