Sunday, May 29, 2022

Sharing The Love - Week 38

A couple of weeks ago I had dinner with the Rabbi who was here to support Passover. We started discussing how people of my faith have more in common with the Jewish religion than we do with other Christian denominations. I told him of our understanding of the Abrahamic Covenant, how I am of the tribe of Ephraim, how we see temple worship as a continuation of receiving the fullness of the Abrahamic Covenant, and how we have a book written by a branch of the house of Israel, whom the Lord led away from Jerusalem just before the Babylonian captivity, which captures words of the prophets God called among them here on the American Continent (The Book of Mormon). 

He was very interested to learn about this book, and I offered to give him a copy of it. He was excited to learn of the Washington D.C. Temple Open House and hopes to attend here shortly before it ends. As he left this week to go back home, I brought him a Book of Mormon and wrote my testimony in the cover. I told him how this book was written to his people, the Jews, and how it is one of the most sacred things in my life, and I appreciated him treating this book with the same respect he has shown me in our conversations together. He received it with gratitude and even kissed the book (something Jews do to sacred things). I felt honored that we were able to share our faith with each other in respect and love during these last couple of months.

I also had the opportunity to minister to a Soldier who found out about some severe and alarming news happening with his children back home. As he was debating what to do, talking to his wife who was trying to do the same, he was having difficulty sleeping and really struggling with feelings of powerlessness and guilt for being here during all of it. I helped him process his thoughts and feelings about it and his wife called during our discussion. I was able to provide some counsel, having worked as a counselor with children who have gone through similar experiences as they are now going through. I reminded him of the power he has access to through his covenants and faith in the Lord. We prayed together and I felt like the Lord would be with him and his family every step of the way. The next day he was granted emergency leave to go home and be with his family during this difficult time.

That same day is when we heard about the mass shooting at the elementary school in Texas, and my heart felt heavy with the tragedies of this world. I went back to my list of scriptures that help me put things like this into the Gospel perspective and sent them out on the LDS Group chat. We have a large unit from the Texas National Guard stationed here, and this hit home for a lot of them too. I felt love for those families and the community that was affected. I felt God reassuring me of His plan that this will all work out in the end.

For those that may be interested, here are the scriptures I learned from John Bytheway that help us during times like these:

1. 1 Nephi 11:17: God loves us, but we don’t know the meaning of all things, especially when bad things happen.

2. Moses 7:26-33: God gives us all agency, and some use it poorly resulting in evil. Sometimes bad things happen as a result of the imperfections of this fallen world or the influence of Satan. God weeps with us during those times. All of it is made up in the Atonement of Christ. Learn to seek the power and grace available through the Atonement of Christ.

3. Alma 14:9-13: Some tragedies take the lives of those we love, presumably earlier than expected. Death is a part of life and the gateway to immortality. Those who die innocently or in the Lord are merely transferred to the next stage of immortality and eternal life sooner than we are. But we are still here, to learn, love, endure, and help others to endure as well.

4. Alma 7:11-12: The Atonement of Christ allows Him to be there for us in our tests, trials, temptations, and tragedies so we do not have to endure alone. He wants to be “At One” with us during those times too and can be even more if we let Him.

5. D&C 101:32-36: One day we will understand the reasons and purposes behind all of this. One day we will rest from all our sorrows and challenges. In the meantime, trust in God and hold fast to His words, the Iron Rod. Use the gifts that the Lord has given us to endure well in this life: The restored Gospel and His Restored Church, the power of covenants, the power of the Word of God available in restored scriptures and modern-day prophets, the priesthood, the Gift of the Holy Ghost, Families, Priesthood Quorums and Relief Society organizations that can support each other, and above all The Atonement of Jesus Christ.

All in all, it was a week full of opportunities to share the love that God has for all of us, no matter what our circumstances may be.
In His Service,
Chaplain John Critchfield

1 comment:

  1. Brother! I am loving the experiences you're having and so grateful for your sharing them with us and strengthening our faith. Thank you! We miss you!

    ReplyDelete