Since I finished a major goal two weeks ago by completing my military course online, I have felt the need to set a new goal to occupy my time in a useful way. I realized that I don’t function well unless I have a goal to work toward. I think I picked up this pattern as a missionary 20 years ago and have been doing it ever since. President Spencer W. Kimball said: “Goals are good. Laboring with a distant aim sets the mind in a higher key and puts us at our best.” Growth and success in life don’t happen accidentally, they happen intentionally. I am trying to be deliberate about my growth opportunities while I am here, and I am seeing the benefits in my daily life.
So, I decided to read The Book of Mormon again before the end of my deployment, which will be in about two months. I happen to have the military-sized Book of Mormon with me that I used in 2018 when taking President Russell M. Nelson’s challenge of highlighting all the times we see a reference to Christ. I love reading this copy because it reminds me not only of the Savior, but His mercy, love, grace, plan, and role in my life.
I had the opportunity this week to meet with a Soldier who I have come to know here. She has been struggling with relationship issues back home and wanted “advice” on how to deal with it. I helped her navigate through her challenges by processing what it was really about and getting to the heart of the issue. We discussed what a healthy relationship looks like and how to work on how she sees herself. She is a self-proclaimed Atheist (and has mentioned it to me several times) but that hasn’t stopped me from discussing what we have in common. I felt inspired to share with her about exercising faith in what she believes as a principle of action (which I learned from Alma Chapter 32-33 in the Book of Mormon).
We discussed changing her paradigm to getting her worth from who she really believes she is as opposed to others who have emotionally abused her. Though she may not believe in a higher power, I was able to share with her true principles that align with her belief system as a way to help her grow. Regardless of people’s belief system, true principles resonate with our heart and are encouraging, uplifting, ennobling, and empowering. The Book of Mormon has taught me so many of these true principles that I am able to share with others in a way that meets them where they are. I love The Book of Mormon because I love the Savior of whom it testifies on every page, and it not only helps me learn of Him but come closer to Him and share His love with others any way I can.
One of my favorite quotes about The Book of Mormon comes from President Ezra Taft Benson’s monumental talk "The Keystone of Our Religion":
“It is not just that the Book of Mormon teaches us truth, though it indeed does that. It is not just that the Book of Mormon bears testimony of Christ, though it indeed does that, too. But there is something more. There is a power in the book which will begin to flow into your lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book. You will find greater power to resist temptation. You will find the power to avoid deception. You will find the power to stay on the strait and narrow path. The scriptures are called “the words of life” (D&C 84:85), and nowhere is that more true than it is of the Book of Mormon. When you begin to hunger and thirst after those words, you will find life in greater and greater abundance.”
May we all find life in abundance in Christ!
In His Service,
Chaplain John Critchfield

No comments:
Post a Comment