Sunday, May 1, 2022

Interfaith Experiences and Another Goal Met! - Week 34

Yesterday I accomplished a significant goal I have been working on intermittently for the last 18 months, and during most of this deployment. I turned in my last assignment and finished the required schooling I have to complete as a Major to eventually be able to promote to the next rank! It is known as Intermediate Level Education (ILE) or Command and General Staff Officer College. All field grade officers are required to complete it, so it is geared toward understanding the Army and all branches of the military, how they operate, how to put together operations, and so forth. So, it was way above my head most of the time. It was quite a challenge trying to balance life while making time to go to school online watching lectures, doing reading, quizzes, exams, and papers. After spending 10 years in college, I thought I was done with school! This felt like getting another degree, but I am glad it is behind me now and I am excited about completing this goal with the Lord’s help.

This last Thursday was Holocaust Remembrance Day. We were fortunate to have a Jewish Rabbi here with us who was supporting the Passover and he shared some touching stories and prayers. One of which was about a Jewish Hungarian man named Tibor Rubin (Tibor Rubin - Wikipedia) who survived the Holocaust, was liberated by the U.S. Soldiers from one of the camps, moved to the U.S., and wanted to become a U.S. Soldier as well. He ended up fighting for the U.S. in Korea and saved many lives. He then became a Prisoner of War there for another 30 months and kept many people alive while imprisoned. He was eventually awarded the Medal of Honor. We had a candle-lighting ceremony that was deeply touching.
It reminded me that we live in a world where tragedy and trauma happen all too often. But the God who loves us all receives these innocent lives to Himself, and ultimately His grand purposes are accomplished beyond what we can see with our mortal eyes.

I also had the chance to attend another Iftar (fast-breaking meal) with the Muslim Chaplain, this time at their local mosque here on our installation. I respectfully observed the local Muslims as they said their prayers after sundown, broke their fast together with us as we feasted on some amazing local food.
These are cherished memories, to live and work with people of other cultures and faith traditions. I am touched by their devotion to God and the tragedies of their ancestors. I have ancestors who were persecuted and driven from their homes for their faith as well. Ultimately, anything we sacrifice in love toward God and our neighbors, for the God we love more, is worth more than we can imagine.
 
In His Service,
Chaplain John Critchfield

No comments:

Post a Comment