Sunday, May 8, 2022

Happy Mother's Day! - Week 35

For anyone reading this, know that my wife, Dana, is an AMAZING woman. I know in my weekly emails I get to talk about some of my experiences during this deployment and how they have been growing experiences for me. But Dana has shared many of her growing experiences with me as well. I can only try to understand and appreciate what it must be like for her to be a solo parent for the last eight months, with about two more to go. She has had to fill the responsibilities of both mother and father for the most part. She has had to learn to do things that I would normally take care of. She has learned much better how to ask for help. She has had to learn to nurture children who are dealing with my absence in their own ways, which has often been full of anger, and forgive them on a daily basis knowing that they are struggling too.

When we were engaged, my mom’s friend asked me “So what is it you love most about her?” I thought for a second and said, “She is a stalwart woman.” I further expounded about how I saw this hard-working nursing student who was a Relief Society President in her Student Ward, working for her dad’s business since she was 14, excelling in academics, and still found time to serve others. I thought to myself, “There is a strong woman who will be by my side through the hard times of life, no matter what the Lord calls us to go through.” I knew then, and am even more convinced now, that my wife would be an amazing mother. She is like one of those pioneer women who walked across the plains without their husbands, caring for their children and few belongings while enduring great trials, trusting in the God of our fathers to lead her through. I am blessed to have her nurturing our children, especially during this difficult time.

She is one of the women spoken of in Proverbs 31:

10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
11 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.
12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.
17 She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.
18 She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.
19 She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.
20 She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.
21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.
25 Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.
26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.
29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.
30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.
31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.

There is no way I could accomplish any of this without her and I am forever grateful that she chose me.
I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge as well the mother who brought me into this world, cared for and nurtured me, taught me the Gospel of Jesus Christ, showed me unconditional love, and made me into the man I am today. Her 15 years of single parenting was, without a doubt, extremely difficult I am sure. And yet we have grown stronger in our character and in our relationship with God and Christ through those tribulations. I hope I can honor my mother (and father) through the way I live my life, honoring the covenant that they gave to me by serving others. I feel as Abraham Lincoln when he said, “Everything I am I owe to my angel mother.” Thank you, Jody Seamons Schuman for your nurturing love and showing me an example of a “stalwart woman” so I knew what to look for in my own wife. 
I am forever grateful for all the mothers in my life. Not just for giving life, but for nurturing life. Birdie Speirs and Pam Bartschi have helped to nurture my life and the life of my children and I am so grateful for them.

So on this day, I have arranged for an American Flag to be flown on our deployed military installation for each one of these women. The same flag that we all turn and salute each day, look to as a symbol of freedom and sacrifice, and honor with the utmost respect because of what it represents.
This is the same flag that will be given to each of these women who also have served, sacrificed, and are deserving of honor and the utmost respect as well. I love you and hope to honor you all the days of my life. God be thanked for the amazing women in our lives! Happy Mother’s Day!

In His Service,
Chaplain John Critchfield

1 comment:

  1. It is I, your mother, who is filled with the honor to be continually taught and lifted by your wisdom, my dear son. The Lord blessed me by giving me you to raise in this earthly life to remind me of His promises, and to help me remember my purpose in teaching my grandchildren of His love and hope in them. Love you forever!

    ReplyDelete