I have become friends with one of our new Chaplains here who is a Jewish Rabbi from New York, originally from Israel, and is here to provide Jewish support during Passover. I had the opportunity to attend his service for Seder, the first night of Passover.
We just finished studying it in our Sunday School curriculum and it was neat to be there participating in an event that has been an ongoing tradition for over 3,000 years. It also happens to be on the same weekend as Easter, just like it was during the first Easter.
I was given the honor of sitting at the head of one of the tables, so I was responsible for handing out the different food and drink that was symbolic of God's mercy upon us during the Exodus from Egypt.
This Rabbi friend of mine also gave me a very meaningful gift.
This looks like an ordinary pencil made from a stick. But he explained that he bought this in Jerusalem the last time he was there, and it is made from a fallen tree that was in the Garden of the Empty Tomb (or as he put it “the place where Jesus’ body disappeared”). It was an excellent reminder of that place we celebrate this time of year where it was first declared “He is not here, for He is risen.”
We got together on Saturday night with some of the other members of our LDS group and watched “Lamb of God” by Rob Gardner. I love this production and can’t get enough of it. The music is so moving, and I highly recommend it.
Then, I got up early on Sunday morning so I could go participate in the Easter sunrise service. I have never been to one of these before, and I'm glad I had the experience.
As I walked to the field where the service was held, I was reminded of Mary Magdalene who went to the tomb on Sunday morning “while it was yet dark.” Then as we were reminded of the glorious resurrection while the first light of the sun peaked over the horizon, it was a wonderous reminder of the light Jesus has brought into our lives since that morning He conquered death for all of us.
I sat next to a fellow Soldier who asked my belief of the resurrection, whether it was literal or figurative. He shared some of his concerns about conflicting messages he had heard about weather Jesus’ “presence” was simply upon someone else or if he only returned in Spirit. I was able to testify to him that Jesus was literally resurrected, that His spirit reunited with His body in perfect form, never again to be separated. He ate food with his apostles, they were able to touch his body and witness for themselves that it was Him. He visited many others after His resurrection. And because He was resurrected, He paved the way for all of us to be resurrected one day too.
I had the privilege of giving the Easter sermon at our own service for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Thankfully, Dana had sent me a wonderful replica of a set of figurines, each with a message about the Easter story (from Emily Belle Freeman's book "Celebrating A Christ-Centered Easter" 2015). The explanation of each of these figures and the insights we gain from each one was a powerful message, and I am grateful for Dana helping me in this ministry by sending it to me.
This has been a magnificent season to celebrate our Savior and Redeemer. The same One who “Passed over” the ancient Israelites and miraculously brought them out of captivity to remember His covenant with them, and gave them a reminder of His sacrifice for them. He is the same One who lived, and died, and lived again for all of us. I am eternally grateful to my Savior and my opportunity to testify of Him.
In His Service,
Chaplain John Critchfield
No comments:
Post a Comment