I think the change for me when I went from “enduring” General Conference to actually looking forward to General Conference was April 2002, the month before I left on my two-year mission to Sao Paulo Brazil. I remember paying much closer attention, writing notes, looking for inspiration and answers to prayers. I certainly found what I was looking for when I learned how to dive deeper into the Spirit which was manifested through those inspired messages. I have followed this pattern for the last 20 years, and it has never disappointed me. Each time I find new insights, correction, inspiration, and direction for my life.
This time, I recognize I have been feeling somewhat burned out due to the busyness of my responsibilities here. I needed some spiritual rejuvenation. What do you know, those were the exact words President Nelson used in his opening remarks! I am so grateful for the additional emphasis of several speakers, to the youth in particular, to serve a full-time mission. I add my testimony to theirs that those two years taught me so much about how to serve, lead, love, teach, learn, and work. If I had to restart my life a hundred times, I would make that decision every time. I sacrificed two years of my life and other pursuits for the God I love even more, and He has “richly blessed me” for it ever since. There are so many blessings in my life today that never would have happened had I not served. It made me who I am today and continues to positively influence my life.
These conference messages also reminded me of my resolve to serve this mission I am on now with conviction, fortitude, and consecration. Though certainly not a proselytizing mission, I am still serving the God I love in different ways. Each time I give a talk or lesson in Church, lead a resiliency group, meet with individuals in a counseling setting, or give a presentation on conflict management, teamwork, or suicide prevention, I am sharing my testimony of God and the Gospel of Jesus Christ in a variety of ways.
As I listened to Elder Holland speak of helping those with depression and suicidal ideations, and then Elder Kearon speak of those who have been affected by trauma, I listened very intently. These are the mental health challenges I work with most often as a professional counselor, and even here in this deployment. I loved to hear of their affirming messages based on the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the truth about who we really are, and the help that is really available. I felt the distinct impression that the Lord has prepared me to help Him in the work of healing His children affected by these conditions. I feel a sense of gratitude and humility that the Lord can use me to do His work. I pray every day that He will continue to do so, because there is no greater joy than to serve my God by serving His children.
In His Service,
Chaplain John Critchfield
No comments:
Post a Comment