For the last few months I have been practicing and training for this Norwegian Foot March event which happened yesterday. To complete it successfully, a soldier must march 30 km (18.6 miles) in 4 hours and 30 minutes or less, in full uniform with boots wearing a ruck (backpack) weighing at least 25 pounds. That’s a pace of about 14:30 per mile. Norway started this tradition in 1915 as they prepared for “The Great War” in training their new recruits and building esprit de corp. It is an approved foreign badge that we are authorized to wear on our dress uniform. So I thought it would be a good goal and challenge to work toward.
I had only done one 6-mile ruck march in the Chaplain Basic Officer Course, so I put in 54 miles of practice over the last three months. I took pictures of my blisters and toenails falling off (which really grossed out my kids) to show them an example of sacrificing for a goal. I don’t think it had the effect I was going for because they just questioned my sanity and made faces of disgust…
Nevertheless, I prepared and the day finally came. I was super excited to get going as we showed up at midnight to weigh our bags. We stepped off at 0100 and I was off to a good start. I was fortunate to have a Chaplain friend of mine join me so we could pace each other.
After the first half, I could feel my feet aching with blisters, but I prepared in advance with moleskin around the areas I usually blistered up, so it was manageable. During the last lap my legs were reaching exhaustion and I continued to pray to the Lord to help me endure and finish strong. Well, He did and I certainly felt strengthened beyond my own capacity. As I crossed the finish line with 20 seconds to spare, I nearly collapsed from exhaustion and hobbled to the rendezvous point. I had accomplished my goal with the help of the Lord!
Dana asked me before the event why I was doing this again. I told her 1: It is a physical manifestation of building character and resilience. The blisters and muscles will heal, but character and resilience can last a lifetime. 2: I want to be an example to my children of those very things and show them that it is possible to do hard things that stretch you beyond your own capacity because then you see the Lord’s hand in your life. 3: I wanted that foreign badge on my uniform to show I am more than “just the chaplain” but can do what any other Soldier is expected to do.
As I have been studying the accounts of Enoch, Moses, Abraham, and Jacob over these last few months, I have noticed the theme that when they are asked to go through challenges the Lord doesn’t turn into a cheerleader, but simply reassures them “I will be with you.” This was one of those times I could feel the Lord with me and can testify He is with us in our most challenging times. All we have to do is turn to Him and we will feel His strength, love, and grace.
In His Service,
Chaplain John Critchfield
No comments:
Post a Comment