This has been one of the busiest weeks of this deployment so far. We have had a lot of personnel moving into and out of the area whom I am partially responsible for helping with their transitions and training. I was also asked to give a 90-minute training to all the Chaplains and Chaplain Assistants in the area (about 50 soldiers) this week. I presented on Conflict Management and the Arbinger Institute material “The Outward Mindset.”
Ever since I learned of the Arbinger materials about 10 years ago I have been working to implement it into my own life and it has made a huge difference in my relationships. I use it often to counsel others in conflict relationships as well. Apparently, I did too well on the presentation because I was asked to present at a “Resiliency Symposium” last night and a “Prayer Breakfast” in 2 weeks.
I actually do enjoy speaking to audiences even though it takes a lot of time to prepare and energy to present in a meaningful way. That is because I can see the positive influence it has on people, and it reminds me of how much God can use me to spread light into other’s lives and healing in their relationships. One of the Chaplain Assistants came and talked to me afterward for about an hour about the challenges she has been through in her family relationships and how this material reinforces her desire to heal from them and use them to help others.
I had a Soldier come in to see me this week who is about to redeploy home. This has been a challenging deployment for her because of some very negative experiences with her leadership. She came in to vent about her frustrations with trying to do the right thing but was just exhausted. She asked me what she should do. I don’t like this question because it puts too much responsibility on me to have all the answers or be accountable for how she decides to respond to her circumstances. So I was honest with her and told her “I don’t know, but I know where you can find your answer.”
I had a Soldier come in to see me this week who is about to redeploy home. This has been a challenging deployment for her because of some very negative experiences with her leadership. She came in to vent about her frustrations with trying to do the right thing but was just exhausted. She asked me what she should do. I don’t like this question because it puts too much responsibility on me to have all the answers or be accountable for how she decides to respond to her circumstances. So I was honest with her and told her “I don’t know, but I know where you can find your answer.”
I felt impressed to open the scriptures with her and read from the Book of Mormon in Moroni 10:4-5. I read it out loud to her while inserting her name into it reminding her that when she prays with a sincere heart, real intent, and has faith in Christ, she will receive her answer through the Holy Ghost. I could tell she was frustrated by this answer and was looking for me to just tell her what to do. But I stuck to the counsel and expressed confidence in her ability to use these experiences for good. I reminded her that we can have profound, revelatory experiences in our worst moments while going through the gravest injustices. We have learned this principle from examples like Joseph Smith in Liberty Jail and Joseph of Egypt.
Well, today in church she spoke and bore her testimony of how this counsel led to some profound experiences for her. She started carrying her Book of Mormon with her every day again and started reading it from the beginning while inserting her name into the stories and counsel given. She received her answer as to what to do and felt empowered by the Lord. I was grateful to see the Lord’s hand once again in allowing me to help make a difference in someone’s life. It’s those moments that help me endure through the challenges of family separation and remind me that I am here for a reason.
In His Service,
Chaplain John Critchfield
In His Service,
Chaplain John Critchfield
No comments:
Post a Comment