Sunday, October 24, 2021

"...The Lord Looketh on the Heart" (1 Samuel 16:7) - Week 7

This week I had the privilege of traveling to another military installation about two hours away from where I am stationed, with the mission of providing services to a small group of Latter-Day Saints there and finding a new Group Leader to recommend to the local Stake President for sustaining. The day before traveling was kind of a hard day, with heavy thoughts and emotions, and I could recognize at the time that Satan was trying to derail me from completing my mission with the companionship of The Spirit. Seeing it that way helped me endure well with the power of God, as I prayed earnestly for His help to endure well and prepare for this mission.

So, my Chaplain Assistant and I drove out there (which looked like a barren desert with a few tents by the way, no vegetation whatsoever, and reminded me of Tatooine from Star Wars).

I met the local Chaplain there, and he was very happy to see me because he wanted to make sure the LDS group was taken care of as well. It turns out they had a Group Leader for the last couple of months who had just left, and they did not have another identified yet, so Military Relations at Church Headquarters asked me to help them identify someone. 

I read 1 Samuel 16 a couple of times in preparation, because that is when the Lord sent Samuel to Bethlehem to identify the next king of Israel, who ended up being David. I showed up early and got set up in a small building they usually meet in. As I started talking to the few members who trickled in before we got started, all the while I kept praying in my heart, “Lord, who do you want to be the next Group Leader?” There was only six who showed up, one of whom was an investigator. 

As I helped lead them in the hymns, blessed the sacrament, and then gave a talk on “Enduring to the End,” I kept wondering who The Lord wanted. I knew I wouldn’t get some lightning bolt from heaven or direct message like Samuel did. I kept looking at each of the priesthood holders there, and repeated their names in my mind, which I had just learned moments earlier. One particular person’s name kept popping into my mind.

As we were cleaning up after the service, I gave a priesthood blessing to one of the soldiers who had requested it. I remember blessing him to search for the Gift of the Spirit that he most needed to help him endure at this time, to be faithful to his covenants, and the Lord would bless him with what he needed. (I love giving priesthood blessings by the way, because I get a little glimpse of the way the Lord feels toward each of these precious sons and daughters of His. I am filled with love each time I do).

Then one person offered to help me put away the materials we were using for the service, and it was him whose name kept coming to my mind. In the storage room I stopped and told him, “I have been sent here with a request from Salt Lake to identify someone who could be recommended as the next Group Leader. As I have prayed and pondered, The Lord keeps giving me your name. I believe He wants you to serve as the next Group Leader here. Would you be willing to accept this call if it is extended?” He seemed a bit surprised but agreed. I spent some time educating him on what those responsibilities would entail, where to find more information, and reassured him I would help him, as would The Lord. I reminded him of what President Monson used to say, “Whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies.” He has since been approved and is now serving his first Sunday as the Group Leader there.

That night I was able to get together with a few other members of our group back on my installation to watch The Chosen TV series. We reserved a tent with a projector every Sunday evening to watch episodes and talk about it as kind of a Family Home Evening. One of the guys there was talking about some of his PTSD (in the context of how despite Mary Magdalene’s past, The Lord healed her by casting out evil spirits from her). He said he had been to counselors before, and never would again because of his past experience with the last one. I kind of pulled him aside as we were leaving and said “Hey, if you ever want to talk, as a Chaplain I’m here to listen.” 

We walked back home together, and he began to pour out his heart to me. We sat on a bench as he shared his story and began to weep. I thanked him for sharing his story with me and assured him that God is aware of his past, loves him still, and connected how his past trauma has helped him to help others already. I reassured him that God has a plan for him and can use him and his past to bring light into other’s lives. I also reminded him that when he holds up that light for others, it also illuminates his own path. I made sure he had my information for further contact as he thanked me several times.

I know The Lord was able to use me as an instrument in His hands that day. I also know that Satan knew I would have some spiritual experiences and tried to take my ability to feel the companionship of the Holy Ghost. I also know that The Lord is more powerful and can deliver us from evil influences, and in the case of my new friend, even when evil things happen to us, He can use all things together for the good of those who love Him. 

The Lord knew the heart of that Soldier, and that he was trying his best despite such awful things that have happened to him. He knew the heart of that Soldier whom He had prepared to be the next Group Leader. He also knows my heart and how I want so much to be an instrument in His hands whenever he needs me, despite my weaknesses. He knows your heart too, and can be there for you whenever you let Him in.  

In His Service,
CH John Critchfield

No comments:

Post a Comment