Sunday, October 10, 2021

General Conference - Week 5

Thanks to advances in technology, I didn’t have to stay up in the middle of the night to watch General Conference, because the sessions were immediately available online so I could watch them the next day. What an amazing experience to gather with the LDS group here and watch one of the sessions at the chapel in the desert!
I loved President Dallin H. Oaks’ talk describing the importance of gathering with people of faith to worship, and how he encouraged people of all faiths to do so regularly. I felt some guidance in my responsibilities here as a Chaplain on how to help encourage other people from all belief systems to do the same. People mistakenly think they can be spiritual and not religious and that is good enough. I like the way Brad Wilcox puts it: 
Being spiritual is easy to do if we lived alone on a mountain somewhere, but we don’t live alone. We live with and around people, and religion is the application of spirituality with others. When your child makes a bad choice or someone cuts you off on the freeway, you don’t need spirituality, you need religion! Only in organized religion can we receive the ordinances of salvation and exaltation, come together to build each other, hold ourselves accountable to the application of spirituality, and put together resources with commitment, consecration, and sacrifice to help others in our community and world. (Get in the Lifeboat: Finding Safety in the Church, Liahona July 2021).

Just imagine all the good that Sister Eubank and Bishop Budge described we have accomplished collectively in the last year and a half during COVID. That is only possible because of organized religion. Their messages also inspired me in how they described sacrifice – “To make holy;” how sacrifice is less about what we are giving up and more of what we are giving to the Lord. I sometimes catch myself thinking about the things I have given up to be here away from my family. But then I remind myself of those inspiring words, and what I am sacrificing for the Lord right now, and how I can consecrate myself to Him. Or, as Sister Eubank put it, “We can be the answer to other people’s prayers… I pray He’ll use me.”

I loved Elder Rasband’s message about “The things of my soul.” What were the 3 items you added to your list? I added: Be humble, Be grateful in all things, Keep trying: His grace is sufficient.

President Nelson’s message Sunday morning was also very inspiring. I’m not sure if I heard it or felt it through the Spirit, but the number of times the word “power” was used in his message was astounding and emphasizing. I am learning to access the Lord’s power through His covenants, even though I am thousands of miles from the nearest temple. As I reflect on the covenants I have made and the meaning, purpose, perspective, and power they provide in my life, especially during this time, I stand in awe and wonder.

This is also the time of year we usually gather to participate in our annual Chaplain Conference at Temple Square and the Church Office Building. I have been able to participate similarly in those proceedings as they have been recorded and available the next day. There were some phenomenal presentations on Religiosity and Mental Health in the rising generation, the Doctrine of Christ in 2 Nephi 31, Women of the Bible, Why King James Version language in the Book of Mormon both helps stand as a witness of Christ and clarifies doctrine, Ministering with Compassion, and Receiving Revelation. Elder Uchtdorf was the final speaker of the Chaplain Conference, but I haven’t gotten to his message yet.

I am so grateful that we live in the Dispensation of the Fullness of Times, where the keys are restored to the earth, and righteousness and truth from heaven are sweeping the earth as with a flood (Moses 7:62). We have living Prophets and Apostles and other church leaders who teach with power and authority and guide us in these latter days. I know that this is the restored Church of Jesus Christ. He is at its head and guides this Church. It is evident in the Spirit which testifies of the truths we hear from our leaders during each Conference. I hope you have felt it too, and that together we are willing to make commitments to improve each day with this guidance to prepare for the Lord’s Second Coming.

In His Service,
Chaplain John Critchfield

No comments:

Post a Comment