Sunday, December 12, 2021

Celebrating The Holiday Season In The Middle East - Week 14

Every Sunday night the local Service Member Group of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has been getting together to watch the television series “The Chosen” about the disciples of Jesus Christ during His ministry. We are SO EXCITED that we get to watch the special Christmas episode that has been playing in theaters the last couple of weeks, because they are going to make it free on their App. I am in the process of reserving a local building so we can invite the whole installation to come watch it with us on Sunday December 26. Seeing how the original apostles and disciples are portrayed gives me hope that with all my weaknesses and mistakes I too can be one of God’s chosen to represent Jesus and do the ministry He has called me to do.

We were invited to the local Church Christmas Party this weekend and had a great time. Eight of us were able to go and celebrate with singing Christmas hymns, watching the Nativity portrayed by the local Primary Children, and eating some great local food.
It felt wonderful to celebrate the birth of our Savior with local families in the middle of an area of the world where Christmas is not usually celebrated. We have tried to help the Service Members here feel like they are still part of a family and look forward to some more festivities to come.

This week I had a few people come to me at random times wanting to talk or work through some things, including the Rabbi we have visiting here to support Hanukkah. I have come to love this man and his heart for ministry to Soldiers and wanting to do the best he can to represent his faith and show God’s love to all. 

One of the Officers I met with recently had a Soldier under his leadership who stayed behind in The States during the deployment and just died by suicide this week. As a leader, he had looked after this Soldier for many years in the same National Guard unit and tried to help him the best that he could. He was heavily burdened with feelings of guilt and anger and thoughts of what he could have done more to help this man. 

He is also one of those that doesn’t let his feelings out very well, so I provided some reflective listening to help him recognize and express his emotions. I asked him to address this Soldier as if he were still here and get all his anger, guilt, and regret out. I asked if he thought this Soldier would hold him responsible for his own death, and he denied he would. I reminded him that we cannot hold ourselves responsible for other people’s choices, or information we have now that we didn’t have at the time. 

I invited him to recognize this unnecessary burden he was carrying and to let it go through forgiving this man. I had to help him try several times before he was able to get out those words, “I forgive you.” Then the emotions poured out. I knew he would finally start to allow the healing to begin. 

I could tell he was not a faith-based person, but just coming to me because he knew I had a counseling background. But I know that all burdens are carried by the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and all healing really comes through Him. I know that forgiveness is one of the best ways to access that healing, as Christ can then become our advocate. I testify of His love for all, regardless of their beliefs, background, choices, or mistakes. I love this Christmas season that helps us all to remember Him a little more and allow His love to be in our hearts.

In His Service,
Chaplain John Critchfield

No comments:

Post a Comment