Sunday, November 7, 2021

Happy Birthday - Week 9

Last Sunday after church I received a text from one of the LDS members here who I noticed had not been at church that day when his attendance is usually regular. He mentioned having some struggles, and I asked if I could meet with him immediately because I felt impressed that he needed immediate support. So, I met with him at the chapel tent and let him pour out his heart. He described the history and status of his current struggles. I listened and shared some scriptures with him. We agreed to meet weekly to continue working through this challenge. We discussed the difference between spiritual healing, which can happen very quickly, and physical healing, which can take time. I felt strongly that this is one of the people I was sent to minister to during my time here.

I received an email from an unfamiliar Soldier the next day asking if we could meet. When we met the following day I asked how she knew me, and it turns out she works with the LDS member I just mentioned who shared that I am a Chaplain and mental health counselor. So, I guess the word is spreading. We had a fruitful session on how to deal with workplace conflict and feeling overwhelmed. In fact, I was asked by my supervisors to put together a leadership development training on conflict management which I will present next week, so it was already fresh on my mind. I love teaching people about the Arbinger Institute principles, which is some of the best curriculum I have seen on positive leadership and change. (If you are not familiar, I strongly recommend their books at Arbinger.com)

I have continued to sit in with our young Soldier’s missionary lessons whom I mentioned last week. He has set a date for baptism and is progressing well. After each missionary lesson he has some additional questions for me, as he seems to process out loud. I felt impressed to share with him Moses Chapter 1, when Moses had great spiritual experiences, was taught about his divine identity, and then was tempted by Satan immediately afterward. I showed him how Moses was able to overcome through prayer, remembering his divine identity, and his relationship to Christ. He shared how meaningful this was to him at this point in his progression.

Yesterday was the first time I have been away from home for my birthday since my mission 18 years ago. I started the morning on WhatsApp video chat with my family as they sang to me, and they watched me open their package full of cards and gifts.
I have some great decorations on my closet now!
My Chaplain supervisor and Chaplain Assistant took me out to dinner at a local food truck, and I just about fell into a sugar coma since I have been avoiding sugar for the last 4 weeks. But it was a good way to spend a birthday, even though I am far from home. 
Thanks everyone for the Happy Birthday wishes on Facebook. (I read through them, but I don’t post anything). Here’s to another year of life in which to serve The Lord and do His work on this earth!

In His Service,
CH John Critchfield

No comments:

Post a Comment