Sunday, September 12, 2021

Patriot Day - Week 1

Today is 9/11, otherwise known as Patriot Day. I remember standing in my living room and then in-between classes at college that day 20 years ago watching the news developments of what was happening. My heart ached for those people, but I never imagined I would be here 20 years later, serving my country in the combined effort to prevent acts of terrorism like this again. 

When I felt the call to this ministry in November 2007, I knew that being deployed at some point would likely be a part of the deal. From that day to this one, I have looked forward to the opportunity to serve my God, brothers and sisters, and my country in this unique way. Though this first week has been filled with training, paperwork, and online classes, I have had several opportunities to talk to people, ask them where they are coming from, where they are going, what their mission will be, how they are feeling about it all, and how their family is doing. 

Yesterday, after hearing that our schedule today would be open with little planned and no events going on for Patriot Day here on post, I felt inspired to offer a prayer at our morning formation. So, I approached the Training Sergeant this morning and he agreed to allow me to pray in front of the formation. Fortunately, the staff Chaplain was already here too and prepared to give a brief thought so they were already planning to allow a Chaplain moment this morning. He gave a meaningful, brief message about why we remember this day knowing that it brings memories of grief, pain, and suffering for many. We remember and honor those who died, and those who sacrificed. By doing so we remember that we did unify and can continue to unify our hearts in compassion, dedication, and resilience.

After a brief moment of silence, I was given the microphone and took a few moments to compose myself because I could feel the emotions of that day coming up again combined with my desire to serve now. I had prayed several times yesterday and this morning that the Lord would open my mouth and fill it with what He wanted me to say. I remember praying for those who mourn, that we may be comforted. I prayed for those families and friends who lost loved ones that day, including our brave first responders who sacrificed their lives to save others, and for the many brave Veterans who volunteered shortly thereafter to fight to prevent acts of terrorism like this again. I prayed that we who are about to embark on our mission to continue serving our country would do so by remembering what we are fighting for: our families, our freedom, our faith and values, instead of focusing on what we fight against, and to heal our hearts of hatred. I prayed that the flag we wear on our shoulder that represents our great nation would always be in our hearts as we serve with Patriotism. I had to pause a couple times because I felt a little choked up, but I felt that I said what the Lord wanted me to convey to that formation.

Immediately after and throughout the day, I have had several Soldiers come and thank me for the prayer this morning. I could tell it had a significant impact for several and I am glad I got to help do something to not only commemorate this special day, but also bring the inspiration of God into people’s lives.


In His Service,
Chaplain John Critchfield

2 comments:

  1. Well spoken Major. You have inspired many more than just that formation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother, CH VARGAS here. I'll be praying for you from Puerto Rico, mi hermano.

    ReplyDelete